Thursday, September 25, 2014

New Jersey Moments

Alright, Kevin's really been carrying the weight on this family blog, so it's about time that I participate. He's done a great job of getting you up-to-speed on what we've been doing and the general state of our lives in New Jersey, so my post will be less about the events of our life and more about some interesting observations I've been having about our new home.

Throughout the first few weeks here, I've found myself experiencing this weird moments where I can't explain what has just happened except to say, "Well... I guess that's Jersey."

For example: One of the first few days we were here, we were driving around a major road that runs along a big park called Johnson Park. This park is really great--it's big and runs along the Raritan River and has lots of open fields great for playing fetch with a certain golden retriever. This park also has some really weird features. Like a menagerie. This park literally has a menagerie complete with deer, a shetland pony, random goats, a llama, etc. On a nice day, there are families always there, staring at the animals through the chain-link fence. They can't pet them unless they poke through the fence, and I never see anyone there taking care of the animals. So many questions: how did they get there? Who takes care of them? What happens when the park floods (as everyone tells us it does after the even a moderate rain)? It's odd. Even odder still--just next to the menagerie is a hippodrome (you know--the track they use for chariot races... that type of hippodrome). On this occasion, as we were driving past the park, there was actually a man in what could only be a homemade chariot trotting around the hippodrome. What is this place?

Well... I guess that's Jersey.

Another example: I presented at a new faculty colloquium for my department. The colloquium was held in a very nice section of the library set aside for professional symposia and presentations. After the presentations were over, I ran to the restroom, where I encountered the following sign posted inside every stall in the ladies' room (yes, I checked every stall):


Again, so many questions: what incident prompted the need for this sign? Is this a continuing problem? Do I need to be concerned about these hooligans engaging in "activities" that might jeopardize my health? Again, What is this place?

Well... I guess that's Jersey.

So many other examples exist: Kosher sushi restaurants? Well... I guess that's Jersey. Beach boardwalks that do not allow leashed dogs? Well... I guess that's Jersey. The mystery state dish known as Pork Roll (yep... this is, apparently, New Jersey's specialty). Well... I guess that's Jersey. Being forced to have a gas attendant pump your gas? Well... I guess that's Jersey... and Oregon.

These moments, more than anything, make me laugh. And I guess it's good to know that nothing about this new home of ours is boring.

-Meara

1 comment: